The song's concept revolves around greed and consumption.
The song's called "Restless," though the sound of it is anything but. It's tepid, restrained, and a little blasé, never wandering outside the rhythmic groove of Stephen Morris' drums and a k-bassline from current bassist Tom Chapman. At one point, vocalist-guitarist Bernard Sumner spouts the couplet, "I want a nice car, a girlfriend who's as pretty as a star.
Album · 2015 · 6 Songs. Restless (Andrew Weatherall Remix). Released: 9 Oct 2015.
Restless is a six-track release that includes single and extended versions, along with four other mixes. Presumably, the extended version will be the same as the one that’s included as part of the Music Complete vinyl box set. I would like to congratulate Mute on doing something that other labels seem to think is pointless and that is releasing a single on CD. Universal in Germany (a-ha) and Warner Music (Duran Duran) please take note
I want a nice car A girlfriend Who's as pretty as a star I want respect As much, as much as I can get. Restless I feel so restless And in this changing world I am lost for words. I feel so restless Ain't got no interest I couldn't care less Can't be a success. Due to current studies The fiscal climate isn't looking good Get out of town The streets are running rivers full of blood. The more I see The less, the less that I believe The more I hear The less, the less that I perceive.
It doesn’t take a genius to tell me what I am. This is the lyric uttered in the dance-pop song, All the Way from Technique, the band’s most dance-infused album to date. Of course, neither of the bands are directed towards Fascism.
Unfortunately, original bassist Peter Hook, who quit in 2007, didn't return and his bass duties were taken over by Tom Chapman, who played with Bernard Sumner in Bad Lieutenant. The other guest appearances on the album are by the Killers' Brandon Flowers, who adds some over the top crooning to "Superheated," and Iggy Pop, who mumbles semi-coherently through the interminable, momentum-sapping "Stray Do. ) The melancholic guitar-driven songs are a little less interesting, with only "Restless" coming close to the feel of the group's classic tracks.
|1||Restless (Radio Edit)||3:29|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – New Order Ltd.
- Licensed To – Mute Artists Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – New Order Ltd.
- Licensed To – Mute Artists Ltd.
- Published By – Universal Music Publishing
- Recorded At – 80 Hertz Studios
- Engineered At – Eve Studios
- Mixed At – Toast
- Mastered At – Abbey Road Studios
- Arranged By [Strings], Conductor – Joe Duddell
- Cello – Barbara Grunthal, Nathaniel Boyd
- Double Bass – Daniel Storer
- Engineer [Additional] – Jim Spencer*
- Engineer [Strings] – George Atkins
- Engineer, Producer [Pre-Production] – Danny Davies
- Executive-Producer – Daniel Miller
- Management – Andrew Robinson*, Rebecca Boulton
- Mastered By – Frank Arkwright
- Mixed By – Craig Silvey
- Mixed By [Assisted By] – Eduardo dela Paz*
- Performer [New Order Are] – Bernard Sumner, Gillian Gilbert, Phil Cunningham, Stephen Morris, Tom Chapman
- Producer – New Order
- Strings – The Manchester Camerata
- Viola – Jordan Bowron, Rachel Jones
- Violin – Karen Goodwin, Katie Stillman, Paula Smart
- Written-By – New Order
NotesFor promotional use only, not for sale
Strings recorded at 80 Hertz Studios, The Sharp Project, Manchester.
Additional engineering at Eve Stockport
℗ 2015 New Order Ltd. under exclusive license to Mute Artists Ltd.
© 2015 New Order Ltd. under exclusive license to Mute Artists Ltd.
Printed in the EU.
Made in the EU.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society: MCPS
- Label Code: LC27959
- Matrix / Runout: 00095 53777 278 01 # 53777280
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI LZ87
- Mould SID Code: IFPI 0141
|CDMUTE541||New Order||Restless (CD, Single)||Mute||CDMUTE541||UK & Europe||2015|
|IMUTE541, 724596 552452||New Order||Restless (File, FLAC, Single)||Mute, Mute||IMUTE541, 724596 552452||UK & Europe||2015|
|none||New Order||Restless (File, MP3, Single, 320)||Mute||none||2015|
|4361-2||New Order||Restless (CDr, Single, Promo)||Mute||4361-2||US||2015|
|IBMUTE541||New Order||Restless (6xFile, MP3, Single, 320)||Mute||IBMUTE541||UK & Europe||2015|