The album's first track, "Panoptikon" (named after Panopticon, a type of prison building designed to allow all areas of a prison to be seen from one vantage point), deals with imprisonment, isolation, torture and extreme alienation as well as homicidal mania and vengeance. It incorporates tape, electronic manipulations and distortion
Schrei x. By: Diamanda Galás (1996, Electronic). More albums from Diamanda Galás: At Saint Thomas The Apostle Harlem by Diamanda Galás. The Litanies Of Satan by Diamanda Galás. Vena Cava by Diamanda Galás. Acid To Ashes by Diamanda Galás. Guilty Guilty Guilty by Diamanda Galás. Defixiones – Will And Testament by Diamanda Galás. The Singer by Diamanda Galás. La Serpenta Canta by Diamanda Galás. View all albums . Schrei x.
One wonders why Diamanda Galás or Mute thought this warning necessary, as Schrei X, presented here in both live and studio versions, is essentially a sequence of Beckettian monologues alternately shrieked, spoken, whispered, cried, or spat out, bearing little resemblance to the gentle waftings of Kitaro and crowd
Composed By, Written-By, Performer – Diamanda Galás. Design, Typography – Holly Duthie. Mastered By – Mandy Parnell. Photography By – Robert Knoke. Recorded By, Mixed By, Producer – Blaise Dupuy. Russian unofficial release with 4 pages booklet. Schrei X Live/Schrei 27 (Cass, Album, Promo). CD STUMM 146. UK. Unknown. CD STUMM 146, 5016025611461. Schrei x (CD, Album, RE).
Request an album send to friend.
This article has been tagged as NSFL due to its disturbing subject matter. Status: Partially Found. Schrei 27 is a film produced by the musician Diamanda Galás in collaboration with Italian filmmaker Davide Pepe. It is based on Galás' 1994 live album Schrei X. It is described as "an unrelenting portrait of a body suffering torture within the restricted confines of a medical facility, using the original work in addition to further vocal tracks and mixing. The film also features Salvatore Bevilacqua.
11. Schrei X Live: M Diss II. 12. Schrei X Live: Smell. Only Diamanda Galas can take us to such places; at least, I know of no one else who does. And not because she is morbid or fixated, focussing on a creature trapped in a space and repeatedly subjected to torture, as the liner notes tell us, but because those darkest corridors of the human psyche are still at work in other countries and in our backyard. And are, moreover, at the heart of the human condition, as the quotation from Job reminds us as well, since in one sense we are all creatures trapped in the cage of the earth, that are repeatedly subjected to tortures.
|2||I - I Am - Dreams||5:01|
|3||M Dis I||1:13|
|11||M Dis II||0:56|
|13||Hee Shock Die||1:59|
|16||M Dis I||1:36|
|22||M Dis II||2:01|
|24||Hee Shock Die||7:26|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Mute Corporation
- Copyright (c) – Mute Corporation
- Recorded At – Gark Studios
- Recorded At – The Knitting Factory
- Recorded At – P.S.122
- Recorded At – Divadlo Archa
- Recorded At – The Portland Institute Of Contemporary Art
- Mastered At – The Exchange
- Composed By, Written-By, Performer – Diamanda Galás
- Design, Typography [Insektafont] – Holly Duthie
- Mastered By – Mandy Parnell
- Photography By – Robert Knoke
- Recorded By, Mixed By, Producer – Blaise Dupuy
- Research – Michael Flanagan
NotesShrei 27 was a commission of the 1994 New American Radio series in collaboration with the Meet The Composer/Reader's Digest Commissioning Program, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund, and Walker Art Center. It was developed for national broadcast with New Radio and Performing Arts and the Walker Art Center.
Schrei X Was developed as a performance work in 1995 at the Wexner Center for the Arts at the Ohio State University and premiered on April 1, 1995. Commissioning support for Schrei X was provided by the Wexner Center for the Arts, On the Boards, Hancher Auditorium at the university of Iowa, Northrop Auditorium at the University of Minnesota and Walker Art Center, with funds from the Northwest Area Foundation and arranged Introductions : Art Works in Different Places, a project of Temple University's Tyler School of Art.
Performed in total darkness. Play at maximum volume only. This is not ambient music
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 7 24596-9037-2 8
|CD STUMM 146||Diamanda Galás||Schrei x (CD, Album)||Mute||CD STUMM 146||UK||1996|
|CD STUMM 146||Diamanda Galás||Schrei X Live/Schrei 27 (Cass, Album, Promo)||Mute||CD STUMM 146||UK||Unknown|
|CD STUMM 146, 5016025611461||Diamanda Galás||Schrei x (CD, Album, RE)||Mute, Mute||CD STUMM 146, 5016025611461||Europe||Unknown|
|CD STUMM 146||Diamanda Galás||Schrei x (CDr, Album, Unofficial)||G. & P. Essential Music||CD STUMM 146||Russia||1996|
|MUSDJ4-2||Diamanda Galás||Schrei X (CD, Promo)||Mute||MUSDJ4-2||US||1996|