Beauty and the Beat is the debut album from Californian new wave band the Go-Go's. Released in 1981 on the . Records label, the album was preceded by the single and signature song "We Got the Beat", which became a club hit in Europe and, later, the United States. When the album was eventually released, it steadily climbed the Billboard 200 chart, ultimately peaking at number one, where it remained for six consecutive weeks, ranking second among Billboard's Top 100 albums of 1981
Go,Go's – Beauty And The Beat.
It’s not quite right to say that the Go-Go’s' 1981 debut, Beauty and the Beat, is where new wave caught hold in the . but it’s not quite wrong, either. Prior to this, there had certainly been new wave hits - Blondie had been reaching the Top Ten for two years running - but the Go-Go’s ushered in the era of big, bright stylish pop, spending six weeks at the top of the . Lips Are Sealed and the exuberant We Got the Beat
The Go-Go’s magic relied on the masterful blending of upbeat melodies, catchy hooks, and background harmonies layered upon sad lyrics, while delivered with undeniable attitude. Get dressed up and messed up/Blow our cares away/We rule the streets tonite/Until the morning light, declares Carlisle with energetic angst during the frenetic Tonite. Their beauty may have faded over the years, but their beat still sounds almost as timeless today on this seminal 80s album as it did thirty years ago. Related.
On the latter half of the album, "Beauty", "Smile", and "Promised Land" are three sample-packed masterpieces that compress the time between '68 and '88. Reversed drum loops, found sounds, droning feedback, Echoplexed vocals, syrupy strings, and truckloads of bubbling Moog intermingle with Edan's Kane-with-a-cold mic skills to astonishing effect. The gravity of Edan's lyrics and voice on Beauty and the Beat is perhaps its most surprising element.
The Go-Go's Vacation Bizzers will no doubt rend their overpriced garments when this fails to follow Beauty and the Beat into Platinum City, but all its failure will prove is that you can't build a wall of sound (much less an empire) out of tissue paper. The uniform thinness of the non-Kathy Valentine songs here does clear up the mystery of why virtual non-writer Belinda Carlisle gets to play frontwoman-her voice fits the image
|1||Our Lips Are Sealed||2:48|
|2||How Much More||3:05|
|4||Lust To Love||4:03|
|6||We Got The Beat||2:32|
|9||You Can't Walk In Your Sleep (If You Can't Sleep)||2:54|
|10||Skidmarks On My Heart||3:06|
|11||Can't Stop The World||3:18|
- Manufactured By – A&M Records, Inc.
- Distributed By – A&M Records, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – I.R.S., Inc.
- Copyright (c) – I.R.S., Inc.
- Made By – Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd.
- Art Direction – Ginger Canzoneri, Mike Doud
- Bass, Guitar – Kathy Valentine
- Design – Mike Fink
- Drums, Percussion – Gina Schock
- Illustration [Photo-illustration] – Cindy Marsh
- Lead Guitar, Vocals, Keyboards – Charlotte Caffey
- Lead Vocals – Belinda Carlisle
- Management [Go-go's Management] – Ginger Canzoneri
- Mixed By [Assistant] – Darroll Gustamachio, Eric Kortee*, Gray Russell
- Music By [All Selections Written By] – Go-Go's
- Photography By – George Du Bose*
- Producer – Richard Gottehrer
- Producer, Recorded By, Mixed By – Rob Freeman
- Recorded By [Additional, Assistant] – James Ball*
- Recorded By [Assistant] – John Terelle, Ted Blechta
- Rhythm Guitar, Vocals – Jane Wiedlin
- Written-By – B. Carlisle* (tracks: 10), C. Caffey* (tracks: 2 to 10), J. Wiedlin* (tracks: 1 to 5, 8, 9), Kathy Valentine (tracks: 11), P. Case* (tracks: 3), T. Hall* (tracks: 1)
Notes1984 reissue on CD of the album originally released in 1981.
Recorded at Pennylane Studio, N.Y.
Additional Recording at the Record Plant Studio, N.Y. & Sound Mixers Studio, N.Y.
Mixed at the Record Plant Studio, N.Y.
Center bottom of CD artwork states, as shown:
Made by NIPPON COLUMBIA Co., Ltd. (DENON) JAPAN
Manufactured & Distributed By A&M Records, Inc.
℗ 1981 I.R.S. Inc.
© 1981 I.R.S. Inc.
Printed track times on CD artwork are 2:45 / 3:03 / 3:33 / 4:00 / 3:15 / 2:36 / 3:32 / 2:34 / 3:00 / 3:13 / 3:22 and vary from actual times indexed on CD by up to 30s (T8). Actual times are as noted in tracklist on this entry.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped, Variant 1): CD70021 ZT-V
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped, Variant 2): CD70021 A-1Z
|SP 70021||Go-Go's||Beauty And The Beat (LP, Album, Ind)||I.R.S. Records||SP 70021||US||1981|
|EPC 4254||Go-Go's||Beauty And The Beat (Cass, MP)||Illegal Records , I.R.S. Records||EPC 4254||Australia||1981|
|CD75021, CD70021||Go Go's*||Beauty And The Beat (CD, Album, RE)||I.R.S. Records, I.R.S. Records||CD75021, CD70021||US||Unknown|
|SP 70021||Go-Go's||Beauty And The Beat (LP, Album)||I.R.S. Records||SP 70021||UK||1981|
|SP 70021||Go-Go's||Beauty And The Beat (LP, Album, Club, Car)||I.R.S. Records||SP 70021||US||1981|