Angels of Light were an American folk band that was formed circa 1998 by singer-songwriter and musician Michael Gira after he disbanded Swans, the group he had founded in 1982. The band has marked a distinctly different style for Gira since he left Swans, most noticeably being musically more melodic and less brutal than his previous efforts. Before the band was formed, Gira intended to call his post-Swans acoustic/song-based project The Pleasure Seekers.
New Mother remains my number one Angels of Light album but I also recommend How I Loved You, Everything is Good Here/Please come Home and We Are Him (2008). With lines like: "In here I sleep/Stoned guardian of my empty dream/Thank god you never saw the things that I have done/Thank God you never knew the person I've become.
New Mother was the first post-Swans album of songs from Michael Gira. It was released in 1999. Julia Kent (Rasputina)-cello; Bill Bronson (ex-Swans, Congo Norvelle, the Gunga Din)- bass guitar; Joe McGinty (Psychedelic Furs, The Losers Lounge NYC)- upright piano; Michelle Amar (Sulfur)- background vocals; Hahn Rowe (Feotus, Mimi Goesse Band)- violin; and Birgit Staudt (B Blush)- accordion.
How I Loved You is the second studio album by American folk rock band Angels of Light. Produced by band leader Michael Gira, it was released on March 27, 2001, via Gira's own record label, Young God Records. The album features contributions from Bee and Flower bassist and vocalist Dana Schechter, drummer Thor Harris, singer-songwriter Bliss Blood and ex-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds guitarist Kid Congo Powers. The Angels of Light is the new band led by Michael Gira, formerly of SWANS. With The Angels of Light, Gira returns to vocal based songs. And it's so good to hear Gira's voice and words again!
Released April 5, 1999. New Mother Tracklist. 2. Praise Your Name Lyrics. 3. New Mother Lyrics. 4. Angels of Light Lyrics.
The Angels Of Light - 1999 - New Mother/New Mother. The Angels Of Light - 1999 - New Mother/15 - Song For My Father.
That eventually became the Angels of Light, a loosely organized collective of musicians including numerous Swans/Body Lovers veterans such as Bill Rieflin, Phil Puleo, Larry Mullins, and Kurt Ralske, assisting Gira with his stark yet beautiful lyrics and music, working around the core of Gira's own art/folk acoustic guitar playing.
Includes unlimited streaming of Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more. xangelix This album is one of Earth's many that proves that drone music isn't just a bored college student with a tape and a pedalboard. Guenter Schmidhofer Wonderful, beautiful and mellow.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|2||Praise Your Name
Arranged By [Backing Vocal Concept] – Christoph Hahn*
|4||Angels Of Light||6:53|
|6||This Is Mine||4:17|
|9||The Man With The Silver Tongue||4:13|
|12||How We End||3:25|
|13||The Garden Hides The Jewel||5:21|
|15||Song For My Father||3:41|
|16||His Entropic Highness||5:33|
|17||Fear Of Death||2:56|
- Licensed From – Young God Records
- Manufactured By – ООО "Ди Ви Ди-Клуб"
- Recorded At – Ethel Sound
- Recorded At – Triclops Recording
- Recorded At – King Mattress
- Recorded At – BC Studio
- Recorded At – Spa Recording Studios
- Mixed At – BC Studio
- Mixed At – Spa Recording Studios
- Accordion, Backing Vocals – Birgit Staudt
- Backing Vocals – Kathy Fenker, Michelle Amar
- Bass Guitar – Bill Bronson
- Cello – Julia Kent
- Design [Design Execution] – J. Budenholzer*
- Design [Packaging Concept & Design] – M. Gira*
- Double Bass – Steve McPeeks
- Drums, Percussion, Dulcimer [Hammer], Melodica, Flute, Jew's Harp, Organ [Casio], Backing Vocals – Phil Puleo
- Drums, Percussion, Glockenspiel, Xylophone, Glass Harmonica [Water Bowls], Backing Vocals – Thor Harris
- Drums, Percussion, Vibraphone, Glockenspiel, Tabla, Timpani, Backing Vocals – Larry Mullins
- Electric Guitar, Classical Guitar, Lap Steel Guitar, Backing Vocals, Melodica, Organ – Christoph Hahn*
- Engineer [Bc Studios] – Martin Bisi
- Engineer [Ethel Sound / Triclops] – Michael Moore
- Engineer [King Mattress] – Jimmy Byrd
- Engineer [Spa Recording] – Hillary Johnson
- Flugelhorn – Kurt Ralske
- Harp [Irish] – Thomas Dodd
- Mixed By – Martin Bisi
- Mixed By [Assistant At Spa] – Hillary Johnson
- Organ [B3, Farfiza], Mellotron, Keyboards [Casio], Grand Piano, Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Percussion, Synthesizer, Backing Vocals – Bill Rieflin*
- Organ, Backing Vocals – Martin Bisi
- Photography By – Wim Van De Hulst
- Producer, Written-By, Arranged By – Michael R. Gira*
- Resonator Guitar [Dobro], Mandolin, Dulcimer [Mountain], Banjo – Chris Griffin
- Upright Piano – Joe Mcginty
- Violin – Hahn Rowe
- Vocals [Doubling And Layering], Backing Vocals – Tanya Sanuye
- Voice, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar – M. Gira*
NotesThis album is for Jarboe.
Recorded at Ethel Sound/Triclops, Atlanta; King Mattress, Atlanta; BC Studios, Brooklyn; Spa Recording, NYC.
Mixed at BC Studios and Spa Recording.
For sale in Russia and CIS countries only.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 4601250359199
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI LZ18
- Mould SID Code: IFPI ZK-17
|YG08||The Angels Of Light||New Mother (CD, Album)||Young God Records||YG08||US||1999|
|IMPREC056, BSR003||The Angels Of Light||New Mother (2xLP, Album, Ltd)||Important Records , Broken Sparrow||IMPREC056, BSR003||US||2005|
|FR003||The Angels Of Light||New Mother (CD, Album)||Fringecore, Young God Records||FR003||Europe||1999|
|IMPREC056, BSR003||The Angels Of Light||New Mother (2xLP, Album, Ltd, Whi)||Important Records , Broken Sparrow||IMPREC056, BSR003||US||2005|
|300 168-2||The Angels Of Light||New Mother (CD, Album)||Sonica , Fringecore, Young God Records, Mercury||300 168-2||Italy||1999|