8. Riff and Harmonica Jump.
Blues Revival Country Blues Field Recordings Folk-Blues Harmonica Blues Piedmont Blues Regional Blues East Coast Blues Pre-War Country Blues Acoustic Blues. December 23, 1938 - August 27, 1953. Intimate Rustic Earnest Innocent Organic Ramshackle Rollicking Street-Smart Summery Swaggering Warm Passionate Playful. The Blues: 1938-1953 Mountain Harmonica.
Count: 22. Views: 5. Sonny Terry 1938-1953: Mountain Harmonica tracks. Woman Is Killin' Me. Harmonica Train.
Blues All Around My Head. Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee. Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry. Brownie Mcghee & Sonny Terry Sing + Get on Board + at Sugar Hill. Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry, Sonny TerryBrownie McGhee. 2016 Bonus Track Version. East Coast Harmonica Blues. Nothin' but the Blues. Sonny Terry 1938-1953: Mountain Harmonica.
Sun, 10/19/2014 - 07:34. I'm reasonably familiar with Sonny Terry having bought a Sonny and Brownie album more than 40 years ago and being a Joe Filisko fan. The whoopin' and hollerin' thing still eludes me though. Sonny sings quite a bit and has a really good blues voice. In later years he couldn't do the falsetto - for instance, compare his live Carnegie Hall 1938 or '39 version of Mountain Blues with later versions. Whooping was a well-developed tradition in pre-war southern harmonica playing, often used to imitate dogs in fox chase pieces (dog yelp imitation even turns up now and then in urban blues in a modified form, such as in Rice Miller's Chess record "The Hunt).
Free download and listen Sonny Terry 1938-1953: Mountain Harmonica. Sonny Terry, Sonny Terry & Brownie Mcghee. Tracks count: 22. Sonny Terry - Dirty Mistreater 02:46. Sonny Terry - Hootin' Blues 02:08.
Artist: Sonny Terry Title: Mountain Harmonica 1938 - 1953 Year Of Release: 2004 Label: Frémeaux & Associés Genre: Country Blues, Harmonica Blues, Piedmont Blues Quality: FLAC (tracks+. Tracklist: Disc 1 (51:19). 1. Mountain Blues (03:06) 2. The New John Henry (03:31) 3. Run Away Women (02:44) 4. Chain Gang Special (02:53) 5. Pick A Ball Of Cotton (03:17) 6. Tell Me Little Woman (02:50) 7. Whoopin' The Blues (02:45) 8. Riff And Harmonica Jump (02:42) 9. Early Morning Blues (02:51) 10. Crow Jane Blues (02:34) 11.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1-2||The New John Henry||3:31|
|1-3||Run Away Women||2:44|
|1-4||Chain Gang Special||2:53|
|1-5||Pick A Ball Of Cotton||3:17|
|1-6||Tell Me Little Woman||2:50|
|1-7||Whoopin' The Blues||2:45|
|1-8||Riff And Harmonica Jump||2:42|
|1-9||Early Morning Blues||2:51|
|1-10||Crow Jane Blues||2:34|
Written By – Carr / Blackwell
|1-15||Going Down Slow
Written-By – Oden*
|1-16||Sittin' On The Top Of The World
Written By – Vincson / Chatmon
|1-17||Man Ain't Nothing But A Fool||3:04|
Written By – Fuller
|2-1||Baby Let's Have Some Fun||2:26|
|2-2||Four O'Clock Blues||3:02|
|2-4||That Woman Is Killing Me||2:45|
|2-7||Doggin' My Heart Around||2:52|
|2-9||Hound Dog Holler||2:21|
Written By – Temple
|2-11||Goodbye Lead Belly||3:06|
|2-13||Old Woman Blues
Written By – Fuller
|2-14||Moanin' And Mournin'||3:22|
|2-15||Hootin' And Jumpin'||2:17|
|2-16||Sonny Is Drinking||2:31|
|2-17||I'm Gonna Rock Your Wing||2:40|
- Distributed By – Socadisc – SC 228
- Bass – Bob Harris (tracks: 2-1 to 2-5), Bobby Donaldson (tracks: 2-15 to 2-18), Coyall McMahon* (tracks: 1-13, 1-14)
- Drums – Baby Dodds (tracks: 1-7, 1-8), Gene Brooks (tracks: 2-4, 2-5), Marty Wilson (tracks: 2-15 to 2-18), Melvin Merritt (tracks: 1-9 to 1-12, 2-1 to 2-3), Willie Jones (tracks: 2-6, 2-7)
- Guitar – Alec Seward (tracks: 1-4, 1-5, 2-8 to 2-14), Brownie McGhee (tracks: 1-3, 1-9 to 2-7), Mickey Baker (tracks: 2-15 to 2-18), Sticks McGhee* (tracks: 1-7, 1-8, 2-6, 2-7), Woody Guthrie (tracks: 1-4 to 1-6)
- Piano – Big Chief Ellis (tracks: 1-9, to 1-12), Doc Bagby (tracks: 2-1 to 2-7), Fletcher Smith (tracks: 2-15 to 2-18)
- Vocals, Harmonica – Sonny Terry
- Washboard – Bull City Red (tracks: 1-1, 1-2)
- Written-By – Sonny Terry (tracks: 1-1, 1-3, 1-4, 1-6 to 1-9, 1-11, 1-13, 1-14, 1-17, 2-1 to 2-7, 2-9, 2-11, 2-14 to 2-18), Trad* (tracks: 1-2, 1-5, 1-10, 2-8, 2-12)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 3 448960 227223
- Other (Distribution Code): SC 228