The album is noted as Guided by Voices' first stab at professionalism, being recorded in 24 track studios rather than their customary 4 track
A new version of Last. Overview (current section).
Time left: 7d 14h 55m 10s. Ships to: Worldwide. Robert Pollard, the singer and composer of Guided by Voices is a strange one. I think his production of new songs albums not only with GBV but also by the Boston Spaceships and a multitude of other bands must be one of the most prolific in the world. This also means that on his many albums there is a lot of trash which for one reason or another you simply have to tolerate to discover the many pop gems amongst it.
Michael Corcoran's Most Recent Stories. Guided by the same voices that spurred strings of magical notes from the Mersey Beat poets of the ’60s as well as the staccato insurgence of punk in the 70s, the prolific Pollard and his band have been tossing out colorful hooks since 1986 with the frequency and precision of fly-fishermen. Under the Bushes is GBV’s 24th ent release. The band has endured the low-fi tag because its records sound like they’re being played on a turntable with a fuzz-covered needle.
It comes out in drivels and drabs, a menacingly speedy song disguised as sinister and slow.
Therefore, I thought it would be a good one to re-score using my new scoring method (Details can be found here). Laundry & Lasers is the first track on the first album under the Guided By Voices name in about eight years, and it needs to tell us what the new GBV is all about. And when I say new, I actually mean "classic", as this is the reuniting of Robert Pollard with Tobin Sprout (vocals, guitar), Mitch Mitchell (guitars), Greg Demos (bass), and Kevin Fennell (drums). Guided By Voices' breakthrough album Propeller is one stadium track after another Guided By Voices: Vampire on Titus (1993).
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Man Called Aerodynamics||2:02|
|A2||Rhine Jive Click||1:32|
|A4||Burning Flag Birthday Suit||2:22|
|A5||The Official Ironmen Rally Song
Guitar – Tripp Lamkins
|A6||To Remake The Young Flyer||1:44|
|A8||Bright Paper Werewolves||1:14|
|A9||Lord Of Overstock||2:35|
|B1||Your Name Is Wild||2:01|
|B2||Ghosts Of A Different Dream||2:31|
|B3||Acorns & Orioles
Piano – John Shough
|B4||Look At Them||2:28|
|B5||The Perfect Life||0:58|
|B8||Don't Stop Now
Strings – Shelby Bryant
|B9||Office Of Hearts||2:04|
|C1||Big Boring Wedding||3:42|
|C2||It's Like Soul Man
Technician [Tampered With By] – The Red-Nosed Driver*
|D2||Redmen And Their Wives||3:55|
|D3||Take To The Sky||1:50|
- Recorded At – Cro-Magnon Studios
- Recorded At – Easley McCain Recording
- Mixed At – Refraze Recording Studios
- Mastered At – Masterdisk
- Copyright (c) – Matador Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Matador Records
- Pressed By – Specialty Records Corporation
- Copyright (c) – Needmore Songs
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Needmore Songs
- Cover – Bob Ohe, Mark Ohe
- Engineer – Davis McCain (tracks: A5, B8), Doug Easley (tracks: A5, B8), John Shough (tracks: A1 to A4, A6 to B7, B9)
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi (tracks: A1 to B9)
- Producer – Kim Deal (tracks: A5, B8, C1, C3, D2)
- Recorded By – Davis McCain (tracks: C1, C3, D2), Doug Easley (tracks: C1, C3, D2), Fluss (tracks: C2, D1)
- Remix – Alan Day (tracks: A5, B8, C1, C3, D2), Gary King (tracks: A5, B8, C1, C3, D2)
- Written-By – J. Pollard* (tracks: D1), R. Pollard* (tracks: A1 to A5, A7 to B4, B6, B8 to C1, C3 to D3), T. Sprout* (tracks: A6, B5, B7, C2)
NotesMADE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM (on labels)
LP and 6-song EP packaged together in a gatefold sleeve. Only the tracklist for the LP appears on the cover.
A1 to A4, A6 to B7, B9 recorded at Cro-Magnon Recording, Dayton, Ohio.
A5, B8, C1, C3, D2 recorded at Easley, Memphis.
C2 recorded on 4-track in Chicago and tampered with on 4-track.
D1 recorded in Chicago.
A5, B8, C1, C3, D2 remixed at Refraze Studio, Dayton, Ohio.
Mastered at Masterdisk.
Catalog number OLE 161-1 on the LP; catalog number 161-1EP on the EP.
©℗ 1996 Matador Records
©℗ 1996 Needmore Songs
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side 1 Runout, Hand-Etched): OLE . 161 . 1 . A1
- Matrix / Runout (Side 2 Runout, Hand-Etched): OLE . 161 . 1 . B1
- Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout, Hand-Etched): OLE . 161 . 1 . C1
- Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout, Hand-Etched): OLE . 161 . 1 . D1
|OLE 161-1, OLE 161-1EP||Guided By Voices||Under The Bushes Under The Stars (LP, Album + 12", EP)||Matador, Matador||OLE 161-1, OLE 161-1EP||US||1996|
|OLE 161-2P||Guided By Voices||Under The Bushes Under The Stars (CD, Promo)||Matador||OLE 161-2P||US||1996|
|OLE 161-1||Guided By Voices||Under The Bushes Under The Stars (LP, Album, RE, RM, 180 + 12", EP, RE, RM)||Matador||OLE 161-1||US||2009|
|OLE 161-4||Guided By Voices||Under The Bushes Under The Stars (Cass, Album)||Matador||OLE 161-4||US||1996|
|OLE 161-2||Guided By Voices||Under The Bushes Under The Stars (CD, Album)||Matador||OLE 161-2||UK & Europe||1996|