Serenade To A Soul Sister. Tenor Saxophone – Bennie Maupin (tracks: B1, B2, B3), Stanley Turrentine (tracks: A1, A2, A3). Trumpet – Charles Tolliver. Recorded on February, 23 (A1-A3) and March 29 (B1-B3), 1968. Matrix, Runout (Side 1): BNLP-4277-A VAN GELDER. Matrix, Runout (Side 2): B̶N̶S̶T̶ ̶8̶7̶2̶7̶7̶ ̶B̶1̶ BNLP-4277-2-Re VAN GELDER.
Serenade to a Soul Sister is an album by jazz pianist Horace Silver released on the Blue Note label in 1968, featuring performances by Silver with Charles Tolliver, Stanley Turrentine, Bennie Maupin, Bob Cranshaw, John Williams, Mickey Roker and Billy Cobham. The album was re-mastered, for the CD release in the 24-bit series, by Rudy Van Gelder, in 2004.
Discography: Horace Silver Quintet. Golden Hits By The Horace Silver Quintet (2019). Golden Hits (Original Mix) (2019).
Serenade to a Soul Sister.
It was recorded at two separate early-1968 sessions with two mostly different quintets, both featuring trumpeter Charles Tolliver and alternating tenor saxophonists Stanley Turrentine and Bennie Maupin, bassists Bob Cranshaw and John Williams, and drummers Mickey Roker and Billy Cobham. Williams and Cobham were making some of their first recorded appearances since exiting the military.
Overview: Serenade to a Soul Sister is the last of classic Horace Silver blue note albums of the 60s. It represents the farthest Horace went into funky seductive jazz soul funk. Serendade is insanely catchy and features blazing performances by Silver on piano, Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax, Charles Tolliver on trumpet, Bob Cranshaw on bass, and Mickey Roker on drums. All songs on the album are written by Silver and they are as some of his most cleverly crafted compositions. Features creative piano and horn lines
Discover all of this album's music connections, watch videos, listen to music, discuss and download. Psychedelic Sally by Horace Silver Quintet feat. was covered in. Psychedelic Sally by Eddie Jefferson (1968). Psychedelic Sally by Lionel Hampton (1978). Psychedelic Sally by Billy Paul (1970). see 1 more connection.
|2||Serenade To A Soul Sister||6:16|
|6||Next Time I Fall In Love||5:19|
- Record Company – Capitol Records, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Blue Note Records
- Copyright (c) – Blue Note Records
- Recorded At – Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
- Designed At – Forlenza Venosa Associates
- Manufactured By – EMI
- Marketed By – EMI
- Distributed By – EMI
- Art Direction, Design – Michael Boland
- Bass – Bob Cranshaw (tracks: 1 to 3), John Williams (tracks: 4 to 6)
- Creative Director – Gordon H Jee
- Drums – Billy Cobham (tracks: 4 to 6), Mickey Roker (tracks: 1 to 3)
- Liner Notes [Reissue] – Bob Blumenthal
- Photography By [Cover] – Billy Cobham
- Photography By [Liner] – Francis Wolff
- Piano, Liner Notes [Original], Composed By – Horace Silver
- Producer – Alfred Lion
- Recorded By, Remastered By  – Rudy Van Gelder
- Reissue Producer – Michael Cuscuna
- Tenor Saxophone – Bennie Maupin (tracks: 4 to 6), Stanley Turrentine (tracks: 1 to 3)
- Trumpet – Charles Tolliver
NotesRecorded on February 23 (#1-3) and March 29 (#4-6), 1968 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
All transfers from the analog tapes to digital were made at 24-bit resolution
Liner photographs © Mosaic Images
Originally issued as BST 84277
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 7 243-5-94322-2 9
- Barcode (String): 724359432229
- Label Code: LC 0133
- Matrix / Runout: MEDIAMOTION 5943222 @ 1 1-1-2-NL
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L045
- Mould SID Code: ifpi 1522
- Rights Society (On CD): Bel - Biem
- Price Code: F: PM 592
|BLP 4277, BST 84277||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine - Serenade To A Soul Sister (LP, Album, Mono, Gat)||Blue Note, Blue Note||BLP 4277, BST 84277||US||1968|
|BST 84277||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine - Serenade To A Soul Sister (LP, Album, Gat)||Blue Note||BST 84277||US||Unknown|
|BST 84277||The Horace Silver Quintet||Serenade To A Soul Sister (LP, Album, RE, RM, DMM)||Blue Note||BST 84277||France||1986|
|CDP 7 84277 2||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine - Serenade To A Soul Sister (CD, Album, RE)||Blue Note||CDP 7 84277 2||US||1988|
|BST 84277||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine||The Horace Silver Quintet Featuring Stanley Turrentine - Serenade To A Soul Sister (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Blue Note||BST 84277||US||1975|